Alexa-Evans-SmallNot everybody begins life at the starting line. Some begin several laps ahead; others several behind. Alexa is part of the latter group.

Born in 1992, Alexa entered the world to a father who, until a paternity test, denied she was his child. Her mother did her best to raise Alexa by herself but was ill-equipped for the task. Growing up, Alexa lacked the normal things a little girl should be able to expect—security, motherly care, and discipline.

Alexa’s mother had a drug problem which progressed over time. Tragically, she introduced Alexa at a young age to alcohol and to smoking pot.

At the age of 16, Alexa moved into her grandmother’s home in an attempt to find some stability. The change in environment, however, did not remove the depression and the loneliness Alexa felt deep in her heart. Alexa soon dropped out of high school and gave herself over to alcohol and pain pills.

Life centered around partying and wild living. At 18, Alexa took her first hit of heroin. That was the last straw. Grandma told Alexa she would have to go.

Alexa found herself on the streets and homeless. Nothing mattered; all she cared about were the drugs. She was obsessed.

Alexa’s self-destructive behaviors got her in trouble with the law on repeated ocassions. She found herself in and out of treatment centers and psychiatric hospitals. She started dabbling in fortune-telling and card readings, opening her life to the realm of the demonic.

All the while, Alexa’s drug usage got out of control. It wasn’t about wanting to get high; Alexa had to get high. She was eventually arrested for a drug-related armed robbery and was facing a seven year prison sentence. Most would think that would be enough to wake her up. But walking away with only a 90 day misdemeanor charge, Alexa continued to use seven times stronger.

She reached a new level of evil.

On January 17, 2012, Alexa couldn’t take it anymore. She tried to take her life. She ingested 300 pills. By God’s grace, she was found and rushed to the hospital where her stomach was pumped. When Alexa woke up, to her surprise, her mother, aunt and uncle were gathered around her bed. As she lay there, her body spent and her spirit broken, she told the truth about who she was and what she had become.

Still, upon release from the hospital, Alexa persisted on her hell-bent path. She went back to using drugs, stealing and lying.

Enough was enough. On February 13, Uncle Steve and Aunt Lori administered tough love. The one thing Alexa cherished in her life was the relationship she had with her cousins. Unless she agreed to go to treatment, Alexa would not be allowed to see them. She was devastated.

That was what it took. Two days later, on February 15, Uncle Steve escorted her to Life Challenge. Two days after that, February 17, Alexa embraced Jesus Christ as her Savior and Lord. Ironically, that was one month exactly after the attempted suicide.

Alexa is not the troubled girl she once was. She is a beautiful young lady who is not only drug and alcohol free, but at peace and full of the joy of the Lord. The craziness is gone. She dreams of going to Bible school and one day entering into full-time ministry.

What’s more, as a result of her changed life, Alexa’s 16-year-old sister has completely turned around her life. Her mom has stopped drinking. Her dad has come back into her life. God is doing things Alexa never imagined.

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” (1Corinthians 2:9).

Bookmark the permalink.

One Comment

  1. Randolph W. Wildner Jr.

    Praise God!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *